Last updated on
You have been issued an entry visa for the territory of the Schengen States (1).
This visa does not give you, however, an absolute guarantee that you will be allowed to enter the territory of these States.
The authorities involved in border control will check in particular:
- if you are in possession of a valid document authorizing you to cross the border and if this document is accompanied by the requisite visa;
- if you have not exceeded the maximum duration of authorized stay in the territory of the Schengen States, i.e. three months per six-month period (2);
- your point of departure and your destination as well as the purpose of the stay and if necessary, the corresponding supporting documents.
Therefore, please keep the following documents to hand for each presentation at border crossing points:
- your travel document bearing a valid visa;
- the documentation justifying the purpose and conditions of your stay in the territory of the Schengen States (letter of invitation, hotel reservation, staying with a host);
- the documents justifying sufficient means of subsistence for the duration and the purpose of the intended stay (cash, travelers’ checks, credit cards, declarations of sponsorship).
Entry to the territories of the Schengen States shall be refused:
- if you are not in possession of a valid travel document;
- if you have no valid visa;
- if you cannot produce the documents justifying the purpose and conditions of your stay;
- if you cannot produce the documents justifying that you have sufficient means of subsistence in relation to the duration and form of intended stay;
- if you have already stayed three months during a six-month period on the territory of the Schengen States.
If you turn up at the external borders of one Schengen State, which is neither your single destination nor your principal or habitual destination, with a visa issued by another Schengen State, you will be liable to be refused entry and turned back to your country of residence (e.g. you arrive at Brussels Airport or Brussels South Charleroi Airport with a visa issued by a consulate from another Schengen State, when the purpose of your journey is to see family or visit Belgium as a tourist).
(1) Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.