Embassy of Belgium in Indonesia
Home Travel to Belgium Studying in Belgium

Studying in Belgium

Indonesian Alumni of Belgian Universities

Have you studied in Belgium or are you currently studying there and would you like to be kept up to date on academic related news and events from our embassy?

If you would like to be added to the alumni database, please fill in your data and form of consent via this link.

Useful link: Alumni Belgia - Organisation of Belgian Alumni in Indonesia – http://www.alumnibelgia.com/



In Belgium, the Communities are responsible for taking decisions on services for individuals, such as education. The Flemish Community is therefore responsible for education in the Dutch-speaking part of the country whilst the French Community is the competent authority for the French-speaking part of Belgium, and the German-speaking Community for education in German.

Study visa for Belgium

If you are a national from Indonesia or East Timor, you  need a long stay visa to study in Belgium. Please find all information on conditions and application procedure on our visa webpage.

Once you have arrived in Belgium, details of your country's embassy or consulate may also be useful.


The Development Cooperation subsite lists all official bodies which offer grants in Belgium.


Many schools and universities have rooms available for students or provide lists of rooms which are available to rent locally. As such, it is advisable to contact your educational establishment to find out this information.

Education in the Flemish Community

You will find a comprehensive overview of all possibilities on the website Studying in Flanders.

Higher Education in Flanders is a brochure in pdf format. This brochure lists and explains the various degrees and diplomas which can be obtained from Flemish educational establishments. It also provides information on the range of study options in Flanders. The brochure gives a comprehensive overview of higher education establishments and financial information on all types of courses (e.g. grants).

The NARIC website and ENIC-NARIC website inform you whether your foreign diploma receives the same recognition in the Flemish Community as in your own country.

Education in the French Community

You will find a comprehensive overview of all possibilities on the website Study in Belgium.

On the website Venir étudier en Belgique you can find an overview of opportunities for studying in French-speaking Belgium.

The Service Equivalences deals with the equivalence of foreign primary and secondary education certificates. To find out if your university degree receives the same recognition in the French Community as in the country where you obtained, you can visit the website of the French Community.

Allocation d’études provides useful information on how to submit an application for a student grant or student loan.

Education in the German-speaking Community

On the website of the German-speaking Community, you can find an overview of opportunities for studying in German-speaking Belgium.

Other interesting links