Registration in the consular population registers of the embassy
Why you should register
An inscription in the consular population registers is not mandatory but nevertheless recommended.
Administrative assistance, such as those provided by municipal authorities in Belgium, is only offered to Belgians registered in the consular population register:
- issuing an identity card;
- issuing consular certificates (e.g. residence certificate, certificate of nationality,…);
- issuing a passport;
- participation in federal legislative elections and (possibly) European elections;
- updating the national register
Foreign nationals who are part of your family may also be entered in the consular population register. However, they are not entitled to the above-mentioned administrative assistance. If they require consular assistance, they should contact the representation of their country of origin.
Online registration via the electronic counters for Belgians abroad
As of 25/11/2020, The Belgian embassy / Belgian consulate (general) offers you the opportunity to register online in the consular population register. You can access the website if you:
- are Belgian;
- are not (no longer) registered in Belgian municipality, because you have reported your departure abroad to this municipality;
- have a valid and activated Belgian e-ID;
- know your PIN code and have a card reader.
Registration by sending documents to the embassy
If you cannot register via the electronic counter, you can contact our embassy (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please submit or send the following documents in PDF format:
- if you have moved from Belgium, the “Model 8” (proof of deregistration issued by your commune): Dutch - French
- the registration form for:
- Adult: Dutch - French
- Minor: Dutch - French
- Foreign family member of a registered Belgian: Dutch - French
- a copy of your passport
- a copy of your e-ID
- a copy of your residence permit (KITAS/KITAP)
- proof of you address (for example: lease agreement, letter from local authority).
Read more about the processing of personal data in the context of registration in the consular population register: privacy statement