Home Consular services Belgian passport
A passport is an official, worldwide recognized travel document. It allows travel in all countries of the world, if necessary after obtaining a visa. It is in the format of a booklet.
The Belgian passport should not be confused with the identity card. With the Belgian identity card you can travel to different countries, especially within Europe, but you need a Belgian passport:
- If you are travelling to a country that does not recognize the Belgian identity card.
- If you reside in a country that requires a passport to issue a residence permit that allows you to reside there.
A Belgian passport is valid for 7 years (5 years for minors).
All Belgians, from birth, can obtain their own passport
Where and how to apply for a passport?
You can only apply for a passport if you are registered in the consular population register:
At the embassy in Jakarta:
You make an appointment online via this link for your passport application. During the appointment, the biometric data will be recorded (photo, fingerprints and signature).
NB: registration of biometric data is also mandatory for children above 6 years old;
You must submit the completed and signed application form:
- Application form for adults and children above 6 years old: Dutch - French
- Application form for children below 6 years old: Dutch - French
Attention: The application form for children must be signed by both parents.
You also bring to the appointment:
- Original passport for verification
- Copy of current passport
- Copy of residence permit
- Payment proof (if bank transfer)
- If applicable: proof of declaration of loss or theft (with this form in Dutch or French + report from local police)
- For the fee and payment, see consular fee.
Or during the biometric mission:
The embassy has a mobile kit and tries to organize a biometric mission to Bali at least once a year; and in other cities using diplomatic missions. Belgians who are registered in the consular population register will be informed of such missions. The biometric data for applying for a passport can be stored for 1 year, which means that the application must be completed within this period.
OR in another consular post or in a municipality in Belgium:
If you are registered at a consular post, you can also apply for a passport:
- At any other Belgian consular post (city where you work, where you spend the holidays, ...)
- At the municipality in Belgium
Important note: If you are not registered in the consular population register of the embassy, you can only apply for your passport in your municipality of registration in Belgium.
When and how will you receive your passport?
The embassy will process your application and send it to the production center in Brussels. The embassy will generally receive your passport 2-3 weeks later.
In the application form you can choose to have the passport sent to you, to pick it up yourself or to have it collected by a third person.
- Delivery by courier: The passport will be sent by courier. This is done at your responsibility and expense.
- Pick up by yourself: The embassy will send a mail inviting you to make an appointment for “delivery of passport” via the online appointment system.
- Pick up by a third person: This person must bring a signed power of attorney and a copy of his/her proof of identity.